background

Sunday, August 6, 2017

A Dance with Seduction by Alyssa Alexander (Review)

When I saw the cover, it was love at first sight. I love the coloring of the dress, and title sounded intriguing. So, it was a must read. However, when I started to read the start to read, I was a little disappointed. It didn't grab my attention as the cover did. Then I was frustrated with the heroine, because Vivienne was a spy who couldn't read. It never made any sense to me. Plus, her character pissed me off a lot through the book. Even after I arrived at the end I wasn't truly a fan of hers. I actually didn't like how she treated Maximilian. I felt that she used him, and didn't appreciate him. Yet I adore Max. I thought he was fabulous. He truly was a great guy who truly cared for her. Yes, I did like the ending. Yes, it does get a happy ever after.

Had I written my review for A Dance With Seduction when I finished reading it would have focused on what I didn't like a lot more than what I have written so far. After thinking about Vivienne character, I came to realize I felt sorry for her. You probably wondering how I came to this realization. Trust me it wasn't an easy one. Vivienne was trapped, and never really understood until towards the end when her handler's boss says something along the lines, that being a spy is a choice. She basically told him it wasn't a choice, it was either die at the gallows or become a spy, and basically a whore. I didn't think about this until about week later. Vivienne was trapped. She was truly stuck in a life she didn't want to be, but she had to keep her family safe, yet she couldn't. She couldn't trust anyone, even though Max was trying to show that she could trust him. She never felt safe, because of how her handler handle her (yeah, a mouthful there). Honestly, her handler's abuse show up until the end, and that's when it should have clicked that he made her into someone couldn't trust anyone. Kind of heart breaking, yet Max was willing to love her for who she was. Max couldn't truly accept Vivienne until he realized he loved her.

Did I like A Dance With Seduction? I'm still on the fence. Do I appreciate Vivienne's character? Yeah, again it wasn't easy to appreciate her character. Yes, I absolutely adore Max and I couldn't quite understand why he would be with Vivienne. Was A Dance With Seduction a good story? It was written well, and I didn't understand all the things that was happening when I read through, I was focusing on myself. A Dance with Seduction is not going to be for everyone, but it's an interesting read once you get pass all the things that are in this particular story.

Copy provided by Entangled via NetGalley

Rating:
3 1/2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment